Tuesday, September 17, 2019

She was loved...

Grandma Gammage
Attached is a photo of a charcoal portrait I drew for my dad 43 years ago for Christmas, 1976 from a photo I had of my Grandma Gammage. On that Christmas Eve, while looking at it my dad began to cry and said he wanted me to take it back home because it made him sad. I took it home and hung it in my workshop as a reminder of my sweet Grandma, where it remains today.

Grandma was the family's main breadwinner throughout the Great Depression working in the offices of Western Union while Grandpa Gammage sold vegetables from door to door to help with family expenses.

I'm guessing that each person reading this BLOG today could substitute a favorite photo of one or more dear family members, whom they cherish from their past, and in some important way played a significant role in helping to make us the people that we are today.

In my case, my Grandma Gammage was always there for others and that included me. I recall back in the 1960's, when I enclosed the back porch of her house so she could sit out there year round to enjoy looking into her backyard property. Upon finishing the porch, Grandma insisted upon helping me purchase some needed power equipment for my woodshop as a way of saying thanks for my help on her porch. As we each think back over our roots, we can often be reminded of the important roles we each play in helping to influence the lives of our dear family members and friends. Grandma was loved, and still is!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i remember this drawing and our grandma. Doug we have similar happy memories. love you

Anonymous said...

I was the closest to my Grandmother (Mary Wigle) I would sometimes stay with her and Pam on weekends. First thing she did was put out her art supplies and so me how to draw, shade etc. Art became a big part of my life. In 1972 I started painting Christmas bulbs. Over the years I've sold many. That were sent all over the world to their families. I made 12 for the U of M alumni, at the time I didnt know who. Turned out one was for Bo.
I met his wife at an office supply store I managed many years before the bulbs. One bulb was ordered where she called me crying. (Broken I thought) but no, she said " this is identical to the rocking horse I had when I was a little girl, I don't have it anymore, and this bulb is for my granddaughter." My Grandmother was the one who described that rocking horses and colors when she was a little girl.
Thanks again, nice story. You made me think of these.
Ray Tuck