Thursday, February 4, 2016

Winning the battles...

Image result for winning the battles

During quiet time recently, I read about life's battles, and that we all go through different periods in life where we deal with various struggles. The Christian life can be a battle as well. We can have years of great blessings and at the same time, face challenges and obstacles along the way. In reading from one of Nicky Gumbel's narratives, he said 'I look back over my life and agree that none of us get a free pass from battling the enemy. But, I would quickly add that the battle is so much easier when we have our fellow believers standing shoulder to shoulder with us'. I totally agree with Nicky's observation.

I will share just two personal examples, which stand out in my memory. Several years ago, while serving as Webmaster for our church website I asked for permission to use certain music, which would greatly enhance the effectiveness of some of our videos to be developed and posted on our website. One of the producer/composers was Brian Felten, Pastor of Worship and fine Arts at Grace Community Church in Hudsonville, Michigan. I was very excited by Brian's response to my request since he gave me unrestricted use of not just the music I had named, but he permitted me to use all of his music on our church website! Similarly, I was producing a video slide presentation for Psalm 103 of David, and I requested permission of David Lanz, famous composer/pianist, who also gave me unrestricted use of his music for the church website. I firmly believe that God was blessing me through these men to do the work, which I felt called to do.

Trusting in God and joining forces with others, who support your work, is a very fulfilling thing to experience, especially, in these times we live when evil is all around us trying to get a foothold in our lives!  Paraphrasing Nicky's narrative today, he comments about how the Israelites were instructed in the book of Numbers to Take instructions from God, Raise up good leadership, and Mobilize the people'. Even today, this is good advice for Christians, who must daily battle.

In Numbers we get three pointers:
Take instructions from God
Raise up good leadership
Mobilize the people

My thoughts:
We seek daily guidance and strength from God...
We fight the enemy in the world and within...
We join forces with other believers...

Having sought and received permission to use all of David Lanz's music in my job as webmaster...
Having sought and received permission from Brian Felten, Pastor of Worship and Fine Arts, Grace Community Church to use all of his music for Church related webmaster work...

What's holding me back from making a difference...winning battles?...together with my brothers and sisters in the faith!



No comments: