Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Prudence and Prayer...

A couple of thoughts today, which come out of Nicky Gumbel's narration during devotions this morning... He talked about 'finding peace in adversity' and he addressed Promoting Peace, Living in Peace, and Praying for Peace. We learn in Proverbs 12:23 'The prudent keep their knowledge to themselves, but a fool's heart blurts out folly.' Nicky Gumbel tells us 'sometimes it is best to be restrained... sometimes fools blurt out folly.' He went on to say 'knowledge is like underwear - it is useful to have it, but not necessary to show it off!' I laughed at the humorous way that he made his point. However, there are times when I am unsure which course of action is correct in addressing a concern. Do I pray?, Confront?, or both?

I sometimes catch myself, wanting to pray about a concern and just hand-off the baton to God, having done my part, by praying. The last thing I sometimes want my friends to tell me is  'from prayer...comes action.' since that would require me to put myself out beyond the initial praying the baton off to God. It is entirely possible that God may want me to somehow be a part of His solution...OR NOT?... You could describe this as an ongoing challenge for all Christians who want to be obedient to God's call/leading and to make a difference for God.

I find myself trying to apply Nicky's teaching to my life today. As it turns out, as a Christian parent and grandparent myself, I am reading his words and wrestling with how to come alongside others, who are trying to set an example for their family and friends, especially their children, who are watching and learning life lessons from their parents' example. I realize that when dealing with my immediate family, it is easier to sense how to handle a concern. However, when it comes to those who are not immediate family, my involvement or opinions may not be appropriate or welcomed.

Finally, while discussing prayer, Nicky said 'God never forgets a single prayer you pray, even though you may forget. Things may have happened to you today as a result of prayers that you prayed years ago and you have forgotten all about them. But God is still working on them in his timing. Keep stacking up the prayers. Persevering prayer prevails.' I must admit that I never looked at prayer like that before. I think that if I pray for something an entire week, that I have prayed a long time. But in scripture, Samuel and the Israelites prayed for twenty years before God answered them. I am reminded that God's timing is not my timing! So, let's agree that even when personal opinions or involvement may not be appropriate or welcomed, you can and should always pray, pray, pray...and know that God doesn't make mistakes. Praise God!

No comments: