Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fear God...



I recently attended a funeral for a dear friend, who died from complications of a brain bleed at the age of 96. Jack was a christian man, who I have known and loved along with his family for many years. He was loved and respected by so many people and he will be missed by all of us.

During his funeral, his son shared advice given him by his dad in response to the question of how he would summarize his faith and relationship with God. His answer was 'fear God'. His son told how he wrestled with that answer for a long time.

I too have wrestled with the "fear" aspect, since I see God as a "loving, compassionate, forgiving,  Holy God",  who wants me to love Him and spend eternity with Him. It is only after much thought that I realize that I too "fear" God in a manner of total Awe and respect for Him as my Creator, my Father, my Lord, my God, my Redeemer, my Salvation. Honestly, words fall short when it comes in trying to describe such a strong emotion that one experiences.

Having said that, "Fear God", as written in so many of the Psalms. Proverbs, and other scriptures, is the best summary I could give also.  

No comments: