Thursday, April 3, 2014

Letters of recommendation...

This morning I read from 2 Corinthians 3, where Paul is asking the Corinthians  "...or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you?" He goes on to say "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."

Putting it into today's vernacular..."Boy, he sure said a mouthful there!" For me, there are some important things to note from Paul's words. First, let's just say "Action speaks louder than words"...We all know that "words are cheap" and when it really matters, it's what you do that really tells all. And secondly, let's face it, what's in your heart will drive your thoughts and your actions..."Where the rubber hits the road"... not trying to wow you with every trite expression I can think of...BUT, just sayin'....

Seriously, look...it's ironic, but true...those people, who would potentially write a letter of recommendation for me, are those who have been around me, observed me (or should I say my actions?),  and will attest to my character and other attributes that comprise who I really am as a person. And, if they have written a good letter for me or if I have written a convincing resume', people might say about me "he really looks good on paper", but in reality...after being around me, they may say "he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed (or you fill in the words)."

Paul really nailed it and I am paraphrasing his words above, when he talks about words written on our hearts by the Spirit of the living God... our life shows that we are a letter from Christ. My prayer today is that God will write on my heart those things which I need today to guide my actions as I live out this day. Lord, please let my life be your letter of recommendation.









No comments: