Thursday, February 27, 2014

Not for human masters...

Today's memory verse comes from Colossians 3:23-24 and says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

I recently commented about a book I read many years ago entitled "Practicing the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence, who tried to do everything he did to the very best of his ability as a way of honoring and pleasing God. I think this verse should serve as a daily reminder for us as we try to live our life making a difference. Also, I recently had an opportunity to share some thoughts with one of my Granddaughters and her fiancee, who are soon to be married. I stressed the importance of using our God-given talents to be a blessing to others and in a way that would be pleasing to our loving God.

I am thinking back to around 1983, when I was talking to my then boss, the Personnel Manager, a man whom I greatly respected and worked for when I supervised training in our Lima, Ohio plant. Walter said to me "No man can serve two masters" in reference to where our loyalties should be. I responded to him "To the extent that we serve the same master, we serve each other"...I like the way The Message puts it in verse 24..."Keep in mind that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ".

My prayer today is that I can be like Brother Lawrence and that God will provide an opportunity for me to use the talents He has blessed me with to bless others and to honor Him.




No comments: