Thursday, November 12, 2020

One's Life...

This morning during devotions, I was struck by the proverbs cited by Nicki Gumbel during his discussion about faith. While there were several verses cited in Proverbs 27, the one that jumped off the page for me was verse 19:

" As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart" NIV

This Proverb's author, King Solomon, really nailed it because our life is a pretty good reflection of what we have striven to achieve. 

Putting it another way, our life reflects upon the values which are most "dear" to us. While some might say they are victims of circumstance, I would say that how we deal with the realities of life, is a challenge for all of us. Our life truly reflects in large part what "values" or "drivers" are most important to us...family, friends, possessions, career, money, our faith, etc. The older I get, the more I realize the importance of this life lesson!

In prior BLOGS, I have quoted a former pastor and friend (the Micker), who told me over lunch one day, "It's all about relationship," I have since come to realize he was paraphrasing Jesus' whole ministry. Our relationship with Him should be reflected in our actions ongoing toward every other person whose path crosses ours. And, those who observe our actions each day should be able to see, experience, and know the values which are driving our lives.

As I think back over my life, one great personal example which comes to mind. Some 25 years ago, my family and I was stranded on the side of the road south of Cadillac, Michigan with my van and camper while returning home from a camping trip. My van had broken down and was not drivable. Out of nowhere, appears a perfect stranger and his wife, who passed us in their pickup truck while returning home from church. They turned around to see if they could help us. 

They offered us a place to stay overnight while his son, a mechanic in Cadillac could do some welding and mechanical repairs to the engine. Ken and his wife Anna convinced the AAA towing service to tow our van with the camper attached 5 miles to their farm, where we could drop the camper off for the night, while proceeding to Cadillac with the van for the needed repairs. God led Ken and Anna to help us when we were in such need. We have been the best of friends ever since! We continue to love and support each other all these years later!

Let's resolve going forward, to look for ways Jesus can use us to reach out to others in need.  As we bless others, our life is blessed as well. Thank you Lord!



 




No comments: